What causes short term memory loss and irritability after a brain surgery?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My wife was operated upon for brain haemorrhage on 1st May 2016. The operation was successful. She is presently taking Eptoin tablet 1 in the morning and one in the night. She also is taking Tryptomer 10 mg one tab at night before sleep. She is however showing some symptoms of Alzheimer's disease like short term memory loss ( not yet serious ) and irritability. She will complete 65 on 9th of November. Should I continue with the present level of medication ? Doctor who operated on her has advised to take Neurojen which she takes one tablet after lunch and one tablet of B vitamins ( Bcomplex tab ) also.
She feels some numbness over a part of the operated area on the top of her head.Is it Ok or normal ?
Thanks and regards---rvsakhadeo ( dated 7th Sept.2016
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She needs detailed neurological evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted the past medical details of your wife. She needs to be evaluated by a neurologist to confirm whether she has Alzheimer's disease or any other form of dementia. The cause could be related to the old brain hemorrhage or an unrelated problem.

Regarding medications, eptoin is to prevent fits, which may be continued if there is brain damage due to hemorrhage.

Tryptomer is for sleep and tension. If she has these symptoms, it can be continued. Vitamins can be continued.

Numbness over the operated part of head is normal.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad