• question-icon

What causes shooting pain in the submandibular gland area?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: I have a sharp shooting pain in my submandibular gland area right under the corner of my jaw on my left side. Nothing is swollen. It has been going on for about 12 hours now, on and off. The shooting pain happens for about 15 seconds, fades and then returns a few moments later. I got a little relief while sleeping but when I woke up this morning, it returned. Otherwise I feel fine - but the shooting pain is almost unbearable. Should I see a doctor? Any idea what is causing this? I have no dental issues, and am not sick.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stone in the salivary gland duct.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

From your description you may have a stone in the salivary gland duct. If so, the pain can be more intense while swallowing.
You definitely should see laryngologist. Ultrasound should be done.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon