• question-icon

What causes shooting pain in the sternum region?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello this question is for de shirks as we have discussed previously I have received my results for my Bolger monitor it is normal as well I did the 24 hr blood pressure and it seemed to be low normal my question always comes back to this ache and pain I get on my chest for the last few days I have gotten tender points as well as sharp pain upper sturnum that comes and goes I am thinking this could be costo pain but again want to make sure it is not cardiac related any suggestions should I continue use to get tested for cardiac after all the tests I have done from last year and.now
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear!

Welcome back on HCM!

I am glad that your blood pressure monitoring has resulted normal. It seems that those isolated episodes of high blood pressure are related to White Coat Syndrome and anxiety.

But, the good news is that they are not harmful for your heart and no treatment is needed.

Coming to this point, considering all your performed cardiac tests which have resulted normal, I would conclude that your complaints (chest pain) is not related to any cardiac disorders.

The fact that there are some tender points to touch on your chest wall indicates a musculo-skeletal issue.

Costochondritis can not be excluded either.

Anyway, musculo-skeletal pain and costochondritis are both treated with anti-inflammatory drugs. So, it is not really important to differentiate between these causes, as they both are caused by inflammation and are treated with painkillers (ibuprofen, ketoprofen, naproxene, etc.).

Fibromyalgia should also be considered as a possible cause of your chest pain.

But all these possible causes are benign and do not indicate any serious medical disorder.

As a cardiologist, I don't think that you need to perform any further cardiac tests.

So, relax and don't worry about it any more!

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 12 hours later
Hello thank u so much I do now want to c how to treat this other than taking pills as they cannot be good for u on a daily. Bases so far I have had short sharp pain upoet sturnum Friday sat and Sunday also tender to touch what other suggestions do u have as st x I do think it is cardiac
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are not related to any cardiac disorders:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

As a cardiologist, I can reassure you that your symptoms are not related to any cardiac disorders.

You should know that you can not touch your heart with your hands. So, the heart pain is not changed by pressure in some certain points (which you feel tender).

So, there is nothing to worry about!

I would just recommend avoiding straining physical activity.

If these sharp pains keep persisting, I would recommend taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen for a short period (some days).

They do not make any harm to your body, when used for short periods.

A warm bath can also help.

Let me know about everything!

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Hello thank you again I have one more question with the in going chest pain so u think I should get a cardiac catheterization done to ensure it isn't cardiac or do my current tests suffice
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would not recommend any further tests:

Detailed Answer:
Dear, I understand your concern, but I do not think that your complaints are related to coronary artery disease.

Your cardiac performed tests are more than sufficient to reassure you that nothing bad is going on with your heart.

I would not recommend undergoing unnecessary further tests, especially invasive tests like coronary angiogram.

So, try not to think about it!

You do not need to perform this test, as it will probably result normal.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

I remain at your disposal whenever you have any further questions!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 days later
Hi there
I have an appr with my gp and I wanted to make sure that I do not need to request any further tests I am a bit worried today after dinner I felt like a sharp like pain in the left side of rib under breast and to the side I did not have breathing problems it lasted about what felt like one min but I am sure shorter I am thinking either gas or muscle spasm it is now sore if I press there any suggestions
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear,

Yes, I agree with you that the sharp pain could be musculo-skeletal or gas related.

The fact that it is tender to touch is another argument in favor of these possible causes.

As a cardiologist, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not related to any cardiac tests.

Considering your performed cardiac tests and your symptomatology which is not typical of any cardiac disorders, I would not recommend performing any further tests, because I think that they would be unnecessary.

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist