• question-icon

What causes shooting pain in the kneepit while arising from a seated position?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: On standing up from a sitting posture, or getting out of the car, I have severe shooting pain in the popliteal fossa going down the calf muscle but not extending to the heel. I have to hold on to something to prevent myself from falling down because of the severity of the pain. When sleeping supine, if i turn to my right lateral side i have shooting pain down my calf. Only my right lower limb is involved. I am told that I have mild to moderate osteoarthritic changes in my right knee.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

I agree, it would be best to see an orthopedic specialist for assessment.

Shooting pain is typically due to the neuropathy which is abnormal function of the nerves.
It can be temporary or permanent and there are different possible causes.

Some of the more common causes are: (1) trauma to the nerves. the nerves that supply the legs would emerge from the lower part of the spinal cord.
Any trauma eg arthritis of the back, can cause abnormal sensations or pain

(2)diabetes

(3)thyroid disease

(4)low vitamin b12 or folate levels

(5)liver or kidney disease

(6)side effect of medication

(7)neurological conditions such as stroke or ms

An x ray of the lumbar (lower part of the spine) is needed. It is possible that further imaging such as MRI , may also be requested

Bloods may possibly be done to check for some of the other causes mentioned.
(liver function test , thyroid screen, kidney tests, vitamin levels, complete blood count)

There are medications that can help with neuropathy eg amitriptyline, tegretol, lyrica, gabapentin etc

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James