What causes shooting pain in the breasts?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have severe shooting pains in my left breast for several day what can this be? How can I get relief?

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mastalgia most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for query,
Most likely it's mastodynia which includes a dull ache, heaviness, tightness, a burning sensation in the breast tissue, or breast tenderness with severe shooting pain.Pain is caused by inflammation, and inflammation is caused by infection, rapid swelling, or something else that might actually cause inflammation.
Initially
I would suggest you few baseline tests of cardiology to see if there is coronary artery disease or not.
Stress test-A cardiac stress test measures a heart's ability to respond to external stress any ischemia is suggested by ST-T changes on monitor.
2d echo-Motion of wall of heart and cardiac output is seen.Abdominal aortic aneurysm can be seen in 2d echo.
Tread mill test and 2d echo are 85% sensitive to rule out cardiac diseases.
Once cleared from cardiac side mammography should be done to rule out he cause of severe shooting pain in breast.
Seratiopeptidase in combination with aceclofenac tablet 100mg slow release can be taken for symptomatic relief in pain.If not relieved low dose of methyl prednisolone can be added to provide symptomatic relief as they are potent anti inflammatory(consult doctor for doses)
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 5 hours later
What can I take to relieve until I can get to a Dr,?
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Anti inflammatory analgesic like diclofenac potassium in combination with serratiopeptidase twice daily.
Tab medrol 4mg(methyl prednisolone) twice daily if not relieved by above combination.
take it for 2 days.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D