What causes shivering, weakness and fatigue after dialysis?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: should you replace electrolytes if you always get sick after dialysis?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need some more elaboration of sickness

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
Usually dialysis will cause electrolyte imbalance as there is so much turnover of blood through the machine.
But normally the electrolytes are balanced out during the dialysis.
So here I would like to know exactly what sickness are you talking about?
Is it like shivering, feverish after dialysis for a day which goes away on its own?
Or is it something else?
Kindly answer these questions.
Will be helpful.
Waiting for your reply.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 7 hours later
it is shivering, weakness, fatigue, all over sick feeling that goes away after about 5 hours.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
that is commonly seen if water used for dialysis contains impurities

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for following up with me.
As i suspected you are having the same symptoms.
Whenever the water which is used for dialysis contains some impurities patient has shivering and feverish feeling which goes away after sometimes.
It is because the impurities in water goes directly in blood stream and causes kind of allergic reaction to the impurities and causes shivering which usually goes away after few hrs once it has been neutralized.
I would advice you to talk with your nephrologist or the facility providing the dialysis and let them know about this problem.
Once the water is checked and impurities removed you will no longer have this sickness problem.
I hope i have answered your query well.
If you have any more query kindly write back to me will be happy to answer them.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar