What causes shingles in adults over the age of 50?
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic
I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.
Herpes commonly affects the older age group (> 50 years) as the immunity to it gradually wanes by old age.
Herpes Zoster, is due to viral reactivation of the same virus which causes chicken pox(Varicella zoster virus) in childhood. This virus resides in the spinal ganglion and can travel down the nerve later in life (in old age, as the immunity wanes) to cause eruption of painful fluid filled vesicles, usually localized to a dermatome (arranged in a strip on one side of the body).
The eruption is associated with pain and burning sensation.
I cannot confirm HIV based on these signs and symptoms that you have developed, because these symptoms and signs are not exclusive to HIV and can happen otherwise.
However, since you had a high risk contact, therefore you must get tested for HIV to put your mind at ease
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the treatment for rashes caused due to shingles
- What is causing hair fall and shingles
- Cause of shingles in adults
- What are the causes and treatments for shingles
- Causes of shingles
- What causes shingles
- What disease does shingles cause
- What causes rashes on body after shingle shot
- Have had shingles what is causing this and required treatment
- What is the remedy for pain caused by shingles