What causes sharp stabbing pain in upper right side of abdomen?
may be nerve related
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Pain may be related to (1)muscle and any other soft tissue (2) nerve related (3) underlying organs- on the upper right side this would be liver, gallbladder
The fact that the pain is lasting only a few seconds and happening intermittently, this may mean that it is nerve related.
Nerve related pain is called neuralgia. It may be sharp though it may also be burning, tingling, sticking in nature.
There are different possible causes such as: (1) infection such as shingles
(2)vitamin b12, folate deficiency
(5)exposure to toxins
(6)neurological disease such as stroke, ms
(7)some hormonal conditions such as thyroid disease
(8)cause not known-idiopathic
(9)side effect of medication
Your doctor, by examination of your abdomen can make sure , it is not related to any of the underlying organs or likely muscular.
If these are normal, then it may be nerve related. There are medications that can be used for nerve related pain.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sharp stabbing pain in side
- Stabbing pain right side of neck
- Sharp stabbing pain in abdomen
- Sharp stabbing pain in left side
- Sharp stabbing pain upper right chest
- What causes stabbing pain in vaagina
- Stabbing pain in right side
- Sharp stabbing pain right side
- What could cause stabbing pain on abdomen and shoulder
- Stabbing pain on right side of abdomen