What causes sharp stabbing pain in the knee?

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had full knee replacement late in January. rehab was going phenomenally well but now I have sharp stabbing pain in the inside of knee that was replaced and great difficulty walking I can weight bear on operated leg the pain starts when the knee is flexed. the swelling also feels warm to the touch. will it be all right to wait for two days before I can see my surgeon
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Visit orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

If there is swelling, warmth, then in my opinion its not good to wait.

You should get early morning fasting, ESR, CRP, Fasting blood sugar levels checked, xray of replaced knee done in AP and Lateral view and send me the report.

I advise not to wait for 2 days and discuss all this what I have explained to you, with orthopedic surgeon known to you.

Till then avoid any type of physiotherapy etc.

If pain is severe have tab.aceclofenac100mg+serratiopeptidase15mg thrice a day by prescription of your family doctor, as this medicine is not over the counter.

I hope you got the point.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad