What causes sharp shooting pain under the left arm?

Dr. Rini

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am having mild shooting pain under my left arm and in my left breast. Took 1 Nitroglycerine tablet eased pain for approximately 10 minutes. have been feeling bad for the last three days, headache, stomach discomfort, Diahrrea, upper respiratory congestion. Trying to decide whether I should go to the ER or wait and see if the pain is just something else? e-mail: YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Rini 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stable angina likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic.
Yes you should go to the emergency room as early as possible.A chest pain responding to nitrate is probably of cardiac origin.
Few baseline tests of cardiology like stress test and 2d echo should be done at the earliest to rule out coronary artery blockage.
Epigastric pain headache loose stools all can be a presentation of stable angina.
Advice
Visit emergency room.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana