What causes sharp quick pain behind my thigh along with knee swelling?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am having very sharp pain in the back of my upper leg. The back of the knee is swollen but not painful. The pain is concentrated just on the backside of my upper leg between the knee and hip. Sharp, quick pains.
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be inflammation or infection.

Detailed Answer:
The pain and swelling at the back of the upper leg can be related to an inflammation of the knee joint, infection or fluid accumulation in the area or a muscle strain.
This needs a direct clinical examination and a few investigations like MRI scan for proper diagnosis. Do keep the leg elevated on two pillows and avoid weight bearing on the leg till then.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes sharp quick pain behind my thigh along with knee swelling? 10 minutes later
I have not received an answer.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs proper examination to find cause.

Detailed Answer:
Do consult an orthopedician to find the cause. The treatment will depend on the cause.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Taya