What causes sharp palpitations inspite of having Nexpro for gastric problem?

Dr. Manisha Gopal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Hellow Doctor,
My wife is 45.She has a chronic gastro
problem.For last 15 days she is getting
interrupted sleep.She start feeling
sharp palpitations as soon as she tries to close eyes and suddenly she
wapes up..She is using NEXPRO L
last 3 months.Pl give your advice.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get tests, it can be anxiety if tests are normal

Detailed Answer:
Your wife has chronic gastric problem for which she is taking an antacid- nexpro.
She has developed a new symptom of palpitation which she gets as soon as she lies down for sleep.

It is possible that she has anxiety problem due to which she has both these symptoms, but to be on a safer side i would advise that she should get an ECG, X Ray chest and Thyroid tests.

If all these are within normal range I can say that her symptom of palpitation are due to anxiety. As it is known -a person feels less anxious when he/she is busy/distracted in her works; however, feels it more when they are relaxing.

Please get the test, ask about her predominant mood and thoughts. the answer to the latter will help in proceeding further in her appropriate managment.
P.s. The anxious person has hightened acid production; so, both palpitation and acidity can be linked to her poor stress coping.

Hope the reply is useful
Please ask more questions to clarify your doubts.

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry