• question-icon

What causes sharp pain while passing gas?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Well, it's kinda dumb, but for the past couple weeks, I've been experiencing sharp pains when I pass gas. FYI, I have a 'permanent' headache from concussion in October, but this is new since a stair fall, coinciding with the symptom onset. Feels like my BP has exploded? Anything I should be concerned with ... or just random acts of suspect digestion.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should be benign.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Some clarifications....You do not mention the location of the pain, I assume you mean abdominal pain? Also if I understand correctly the concussion in October and the stair fall are not the same event, the stair fall being the recent one after which the pains have started. Last thing, I am not sure what do you mean by BP has exploded, usually the acronym BP stands for blood pressure, is that the case? If yes have you measured it, what are the values?

Anyway if you are wondering if there is a connection between the stairfall and these episodes, the answer is no, there should be no relation between the two. Head trauma is not related to such intestinal symptoms.

Most probably as you say it is a trouble of digestion and not a worrying issue. Reasons to worry about more serious condition might be persistent pain not related to gas passing, bloody stool, nausea and vomiting, weight loss, change in stool color, fever etc.
Try to avoid for a while fiber rich foods which lead to increased gas production such as fruits, whole grains, vegetables and legumes, also avoid drinking sodas. Pay attention to what foods may be triggering the symptoms as well, maybe keep a food diary to try to identify possible food intolerance.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.

Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Thank you for the reply.

Ahh ... the world of brain injury. I forgot one important part.. when I fell down the stairs, 2 weeks ago, I hit my head: significant impact, enough to exacerbate Concussion symptoms -- headache, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, tinnitus, balance issues etc.

So, the mysterious NEW pain is in my head, not my gut (no issues with bowels, btw - plumbing works properly). Regarding BP, I have white coat, so my blood pressure can spike very high; the feeling when I've passed gas (and had normal bowel movement, if that is relevant) is quite similar to this/these sensations of BP spikes. Haven't check it, however.

The pain is in my head, generally on the right side. I also experience the same sensation when I bend over (as to pick something up off the ground). This right sided sharp pain is in addition to the 'normal' dizziness from the Concussion symptoms. No change in diet, medication (I don't take anything at all), or life style.

Sorry for the initial confusion.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional information.

The fact that you've had a head trauma on top of the consequences of another head trauma does make evaluation a little difficult. Both the previous concussion as this fall can be accompanied by headache and dizziness, it wouldn't be surprised that the new fall to add to the symptoms of the previous concussion. So considering that acute complications after trauma occur in the first 24 - 48 hours, given that 2 weeks have passed I wouldn't be alarmed. As for headache when passing gas, I have to admit I do not have an explanation for it, but it is not indicative of a brain lesions either.

However if the symptoms persist with the same intensity, not in a decreasing curve, perhaps an imaging exam is necessary. A CT or MRI would serve to exclude issues such as chronic subdural hemorrhage, sinusitis or mastoiditis favored by hemorrhage in the sinus cavities or mastoid cells, which could explain the headaches you describe.

I hope to have been of help.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist