What causes sharp pain under the right shoulder blade?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a sharp pain seemingly beneath my right shoulder blade; pain moderates with extra strength tylenol. Had no pain when I went to sleep last night. Awoke this a.m. with same sharp pain but also with tingling sensation in my upper right arm continuing slightly down to my fingers on right hand...sort of like when you hit your elbow/funny bone. Is this a pinched nerve situation or worse? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pinched nerve likely

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging from your descripton of the symptoms I would say that the most likely cause given the tingling spreading up to the fingers is indeed a pinched nerve.
Most common causes of it are a bulging disc or bony spurs in the spine due to arthritis compressing it. At times it may be compressed more peripherally due to passageways being narrow like in thoracic outlet syndrome.

Anyway in terms of treatment first step is painkillers like Ibuprofen and physical therapy. If that doesn't work after a month then some imaging is advised to check for the need of additional procedures.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.

Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 45 minutes later
If I feel the need to see a doctor about this (e.g. If these symptoms don't improve), what type of Doctor should I visit?

Also, thanks for your analysis and quick response.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your appreciative words.

The doctor to see would certainly be a neurologist. He would conduct a neurological exam for reflexes, motor or sensory changes, other possible neurological signs to confirm the diagnosis or suggest something else.

Let me know if I can further assist you.