• question-icon

What causes sharp pain on back of head?

Posted on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Sometimes throughout the day i get sharp pains on the back of my head. It doesnt last long but its scary. I also suffer from panic attacks so i usually connect it to that.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Here are my thoughts.

First and foremost, you should visit a primary care doctor or a neurologist for a physical exam to examine your scalp. This is the first step to ruling out a medical problem in that area, including headache.

It is certainly possible that this is a somatic symptom of panic attacks for you. The treatment of panic attacks consists of an antidepressant (such as Lexapro or Zoloft), a short (4 week) course of a benzodiazepine (such as Ativan or Klonopin), and cognitive behavioral psychotherapy. This combination treatment can help you get this anxiety, and your head pain, under control.

Please remember to rate and close this answer if you find it satisfactory.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me at my private link below. After you ask a direct question it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist