• question-icon

What causes sharp pain in the throat?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had an endoscopy and had my esophagus stretched in early April. Ever since then I get a pinching in my right gland that's a sharp pain, when I'm talking. And ever since then my glands swell daily but I don't have a sore throat. The doctor almost laughed at my situation and said you're fine. Clearly it's not. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Endoscopy highly unlikely to be the cause

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Endoscopy is a relatively safe procedure which in rare cases may cause perforation or infection in the food pipe, however swollen throat glands are not among the side effects, so other causes need to be looked into.
I suggest you go to another doctor and have a physical exam to determine the location and consistency of the painful glands, as this will give the necessary information about the underlying condition. Eventually, a biopsy may be necessary, but a physical exam is the first step.
The timing of the endoscopy and the gland pain may be a coincidence and unlikely to be related.

I hope this answers your question. You are welcome to ask any further questions you might have.
Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ornela Ademovi