What causes sharp pain in the thighs?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: how can I tell if I have a sore muscle or a blood clot in my thigh?
I have a sharp pain, I don't remember injuring my self.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Swelling and redness for blood clot.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. In case of clot(hematoma) there will be swelling and dark reddish discoloration. There will be palpable lump in case of clot also.
Applying ice packs for initial 2 to 3 days will be helpful for both hematoma and sore muscle.
If sharp pain is there then x ray of affected part should be taken to rule out fracture.Pulsations of both legs should be felt also to see any difference. Over the counter NSAIDs like Ibuprofen can be taken also.

Let me know if anything not clear. I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 40 hours later
There does not seem to be any dark reddish Discoloration in the groan area just the sharp pain. Sometimes I get in a position and the pain stops but walking I have the pain. I cannot take ibuprofen because I am on the Xarelto because of my Factor V Leiden mutation (CMS/HCC). I will ice down the location and see if the issue goes away. I have been having this sharp pain for about 6 days now.

I also have a Tennis elbo but the pain in my thigh/groan is more intense to I have not been noticing this, I did go to the Doctor for this issue and he prescribed methylPREDNISolone (MEDROL DOSEPACK) 4 mg tablet for that issue which was finished about 5 days ago.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound examination will be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

Ultrasound examination will be helpful to rule out hematoma. Continue with ice pack application. You can tramadol and paracetamol combination for pain relief.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.