What causes sharp pain in the sternum area?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor:

Just a question that I would appreciate your input that would help me understand it better. I have pvcs for which I am taking Atenolol 12.5mg daily; exercising on my bike daily watching my diet related to my high cholesterol which is 226. I am thin, dont smoke or drink and have high cholesterol; go figure. Well I guess I worry about getting cardiac disease cause of the pvcs. Earlier today at work I had a sharp pain in the area of the sternum in center of my chest, did not radiate, no other symptoms but anxiety from it; lasted less than a few minutes. I did have flautulence, which I passed the gas. Pain got lesser and lesser then subsided. I do lift heavy objects on my job. It also felt better when I belched. Could this be gas? Should I be concerned about cardiac issues/heart attack? Had labs about one month ago all normal, but cholesterol 226; tryglycerides good; had stress test earlier this year with ekg; showed pvcs/etopic beats all else normal; echo normal as well. Please advise. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms don't seem to be cardiac related.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for your question on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that based on your symptomatology, your symptoms don't seem to be cardiac related.

Besides, all your performed cardiac tests indicate a good heart function and exclude any possible coronary artery disease.

A gastro esophageal disorder (esophageal spasms, dyspepsia with gas creation and distension of the stomach walls, an irritable bowel syndrome) could explain your symptoms.

The fact that your situation improved from the gas passing or belching is a strong argument in favor of this diagnosis.

So relax! There is nothing to worry about!

If your problems persist, I recommend consulting with the gastro enterologist for a careful physical examination and a possible GI endoscopy, to examine better your digestive tract.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions, whenever you need!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri