• question-icon

What causes sharp pain in the shoulders?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My shoulder has started to ache all the time and now it hurts about 1/2 way down my upper arm in the front as a sharp stabbing type pain when i reach forward and in the front of my shoulder it feels as if a rubber band that is too tight slips off and snaps, also very sharp and sudden. Should i be worried about this?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rotator cuff damage with impingement syndrome. Needs forget investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

It appears that you may be having Impingement syndrome with damage to the Rotator cuff tendons.

Avoid over head lifting of arm, lifting weights. Apply warm packs to the affected region. Do get an Xray of the shoulder to look for any bony protrubance That's damaging the muscle. Do get an MRI or Ultrasound scan of the Shoulder Rotator cuff to look for tears.

You can immobilise your arm in a arm pouch till you get the investigations done.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon