• question-icon

What causes sharp pain in the rib cage during pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: hi. I am 8 month pregnant and having sharp pain below rib cage and is continuous from last 5 days.. I am not able to move or laid down.. feeling discomfort
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to bone pain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
A sharp pain just below the rib cage in 8th month of pregnancy can be due to pressure on the ribs due to growing size of the uterus. Low levels of calcium and vitamin D3 can also add to this problem. You need to take rest and mild pain killers or apply a local analgesic gel in the area for relief. Do get proper blood tests done to diagnose any deficiency and start with proper supplements after consulting your gynecologist.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN