• question-icon

What causes sharp pain in the lower back?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Sharp pain on left lower side of back
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details in answer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HCM.

It turns out there are a number of other possible left lower back pain causes.An infection in the left kidney can cause dull or intense lower left back pain. Kidney infections usually start in the urinary tract and bladder, and from there can spread to the kidneys, causing local inflammation and pain in the kidney.
A muscle strain is another common cause of lower left back pain.Being overweight or having a weak back or abdominal muscles can increase the risk of muscle strains in the lower back.. Pain in the lower back may be linked to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments around the spine and discs, spinal cord and nerves, lower back muscles, abdomen and pelvic internal organs, and the skin around the lumbar area.

Do initially i would recommend you to go for urine routine test to rule out possible UTI.

Take Tylenol twice daily for symptomatic relief.
Follow up with report.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist