• question-icon

What causes sharp pain in the lower back?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: sharp pain in left side lower back
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to many causes.

Detailed Answer:
Low Back Pain Common Causes (considering your age):

• Nerve root syndromes are those that produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration

Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain includes myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.

• Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis

• Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning

• Renal stone
Proper diagnosis involves investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray and MRI of the spine after an examination by your primary physician.
The treatment will then depend on the cause.

In the meanwhile, adequate rest, hot compresses, good analgesic medications and avoiding strenuous exercises will benefit you.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon