What causes sharp pain in the lower abdomen?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Good afternoon,
About 2 years ago, I woke up to go to the bathroom and suddenly felt sharp pains in my lower abdomen-pelvic region. My husband took me to the hospital, as I had a couple of bouts of diarrhea-not bloody, but a very painful lower abdomen to the point that I could not even bend over or stand up. The doctor put me on Flagyl and Cipro for about 10 days and it cleared everything up. After 5 days, I went to a gastroenterologist and he did a rectal exam which showed blood in my stool which I could not see. He said I was still in the infection stage. For the first night, I ran a low grade fever-about 99- with chills, but that did not recur. I started feeling much better after the 3rd day on meds.About 4 months later, I had a very thorough colonoscopy-my third one- and they gave me a clean XXXXXXX of health and told me to come back in 10 years. The doctor thinks I had a bout of infectious colitis. I have been fine since then, but I am afraid I could get this again. Did I pick up a bug, or was it food poisoning? I do suffer from constipation, for which I take Metamucil every day. I am so careful about what I eat, but I don't want to go through this again. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you By the way, I am 56, female, and post-menopausal.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can't do much about it...

Detailed Answer:

since the colonoscopy did not reveal other pathology (like diverticula for example) then the most likely cause of your symptoms is indeed an infection of the intestine. There is no significant difference between food poisoning and other etiologies because the outcome is the same. Another attack is just a matter of luck and personal hygiene. Such infections occur more frequently to individuals who don't wash their hands good enough or frequently enough or who come into contact with sick people, etc. Anybody can get such an infection though, so there is not much you can do about it besides sticking to the hygiene measures without exaggerations. Washing your hands every time you're about to handle food and every time you get home, watch your personal hygiene (clean underwear, bathing, etc) and be careful about what (and where) you eat!

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!