• question-icon

What causes sharp pain in the left side of the chest of a child?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My 11-year-old grandson lifted a full laundry basket and experienced a sharp sudden pain on the left side of his chest, below his left nipple. We thought it might be a pulled muscle or heartburn from eating leftover pizza, but it doesn't seem to be heartburn. We are unsure what to do for the pain if it is a pulled muscle. XXXXXXX Mondragon YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take Pepto Bismol. Take juicy fruits like citrus fruits.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health care magic.

I have gone carefully through your query. You need to be clinically evaluated. I doubt if it would be due to a muscle pull. Rather, acid reflux is a more likely probability. I would insist you to take Pepto Bismol or some other OTC antacid and see if that helps. On the other hand, taking some juicy fruit like citrus fruits shohel in relieving a muscle spasm due to the high potassium content of those fruits. If that I'll does not help it would be a good idea to visit the ER.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician