What causes sharp pain in the chest while coughing?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: when I cough I get a sharp pain in my chest like someone has a hot poker across my chest pain up towards my shoulder?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. You seem to be suffering from a viral respiratory tract infection which has involved the pleura. The lungs are covered by a layer called pleura. There is another layer of pleura covering the inner chest wall. When the pleura gets inflamed/irritated due to the viral infection and the two layers of pleura rub against each other you get the sharp pain that you are complaining of.

Taking pain medication like ibuprofen twice a day (in full stomach) for a few days, and taking steam inhalation should provide relief.