What causes sharp pain in the breast while breastfeeding?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 8 Jul 2016 in Women's Health
Question: MY WIFE DELIVERED A BABY 4 WEEKS BEFORE( CAESARIAN). THE BREAST FEEDING OF THE BABY GOING ON NORMALLY FOR 3 WEEKS. BUT NOW , SHE FEELS PRICKLY SHARP PAIN IN HER BREASTS AFTER FEEDING, WHICH SHE CAN'T TOLERATE. ALSO THE MILK SECRETION IS LOW.
WHAT TO DO TO STOP THE PAIN. WHAT IS THE CAUSE AND NATURE OF THE PAIN?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to breast heaviness or cracked nipples.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
During breast feeding the sharp pain in the breast can be due to mild swelling in the ducts or due to cracked nipples. The following measures will help:
a. Only wear cotton innerwear. Use a tight/ proper fitting innerwear that gives a good support to the increased breast tissue.
b. She can apply Nipcare cream immediately after breast feeding over the area after cleansing it properly with warm water and savlon.
The milk production is dependant on frequent suckling by the infant and will gradually improve or decrease according to that.
Other factors that are helpful in improving milk flow are ample rest, fluid intake in excess of 3 litres in a day, high protein diet and diets having Calories in excess some 600 Calories over and above the daily energy expenditure.
If still milk production is not good she can take Domperidone,metoclopramide, etc after consulting her gynecologist.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal