What causes sharp pain in the abdominal area?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello, I normally have this sharp pain for about no more than 5 seconds in my left abdominal the day before my cycle starts. Yesterday i started having the same pain early in the morning and has been on going till current. Should I pay a visit to My OB/GYN?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ER if the Ob/Gyn is not immediately available.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted your history of sharp pain for about no more than 5 seconds in left abdomen a day prior to cycle - started the same pain early in the morning yesterday but has been going on till now - wants to know whether should visit Ob/Gyn...

Yes, since the pain has continued since yesterday morning, it is better to visit the Ob/Gyn asap and if not feasible, it is worth a visit at ER so that urgent clinical evaluation, examination and Ultrasound would be done to get the proper diagnosis at the earliest and to get to the additional evaluation and further investigations as would be necessary.
Since the pain comes a day before, you would have periods by today.
I hope this answers your specific question.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Thank you. I actually should not have my period any time soon. I just had one a little over two weeks ago. Is it possible to have another one this early?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Not possible in normal circumstances.
Hence the necessity of clinical evaluation asap and ultrasound.
How is the pain now?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad