What causes sharp pain in stomach area the day after drinking?

Dr. Sonia Raina

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I was drinking beer and liqueur with some friends and swallowed the liquor too fast and I throwed up but the next morning I woke up i noticed I had a sharp pain in my stomach area in the middle part under my ribs in the front it's like a weight bar sitting across my chest ,I'm not throwing up and no loss of appetite I stopped drinking because when ever I drink it hurts (beer),and I stay burping
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suspect Acute Gastroenteritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello, greetings! Thanks for posting your query in hcm. You seem to be suffering from an episode of acute gastroenteritis, which is inflammation of the digestive tract. The pain you are experiencing maybe due to abdominal cramping which is commonly associated with gastroenteritis. It is a common phenomenon observed after consumption of alcohol.

The treatment would be to rehydration with plenty of oral or intravenous fluids if needed, consume probiotic foods like yoghurt, certain classes of medications like ondansetron and metoclopramide may help too. I would also recommend you to include over the counter antacids like aluminium hydroxide and magnesium carbonate compounds that may provide symptomatic relief. Usually, antibiotics are not prescribed in cases of acute gastroenteritis.

Ondonsetron and Metaclopramide are prescription meds, so you would need to talk to a doctor and get a prescription if you really feel you need them.

It would be helpful if you could recall any history of blood in the vomitus, as that may point towards XXXXXXX - Weiss tears. These are tears in the oesophagus (food pipe) due to forceful vomiting, coughing or retching causing pressure changes in the oesophagus. It is mainly seen in cases of alcohol consumption.

This condition can be diagnosed by performing an endoscopy. Here, a flexible tube with a camera attached is introduced through the mouth into the food pipe and thus, the site of injury can be visualized.

Treatment depends on the site and extent of the tear. There maybe a need of cauterization in case of any bleeding vessels.
Mouth feeding is put on a hold and nasogastric feeding (tube passed into stomach from nose) maybe advised till the tear heals. A course of prophylactic antibiotics may be needed to prevent any infection.

I suggest you consult your local surgeon who can examine you and decide about the modality of treatment to start you on.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more doubts, please feel free to ask, or else please close this question and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj