Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
172 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes sharp pain in right breast?

Answered by
Dr. Manisha Jain


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 5136 Questions

Posted on Wed, 23 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I have had a sharp pain in my right breast since last night. It felt like someone had cut off the nipple. There is a red streak going the full length of the aerola and it hurts. To answer the questions that were asked of the woman I'm reading that had this same problem: No nipple discharge, bumps around the aerola that come and go also sensitive. I have a large Blue vein that goes from the center of my chest to that nipple that gets sore and stands out. I've had slight chest pain on the right side a few times in the last couple of months. Once it's gone though I just forget about it. Yes, I'm on HRT & EPT.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Visit a surgeon at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
This is something really of concern so you need to visit a surgeon at the earliest.
In my opinion this is slight thrombosis of the vein due to hypercoagulability caused by hormones.
You need a mammogram and venous Doppler and definitely coagulation profile and complete blood count tests.
First visit a surgeon and get yourself examined as it can be serious in future.
Right now apply wet heat on the involved area and take an analgesic to relieve the pain.
In case you have any questions regarding this then please feel free to ask.
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 31 minutes later
I did apply a heating pad last night, now that explains why that helped. But I'm having a lot hot flashes. I get hot but then I'm freezing cold for the past 3+ months so it's hard for me to tell what's really going on with me.
I also take Percocet 3 times a day for back pain. Well not everyday, but as needed which lately has been every day. So I don't think I can take anything else, right? The moist heat should help.
How long will this last? I can't see a surgeon for at least a week. Will this pain last or get worse?
Do I just look for a General surgeon?
I just remembered something else from last night when all this started. I also experienced ringing in my right ear that I couldn't get to stop for about 30 minutes. My back, neck was really bad last night; however, I brushed it off to the back pain I usually have, just a bit more severe. The ringing in the ear is what was new. Is that another symptom of thrombosis?
One other thing, I had a total right knee replacement in February, 2014 and have been doing GREAT where the knee is concerned. However, in the last month or so, it's been more difficult to get going from a resting phase. Whenever I'm not feeling well, since the knee surgery, I notice a difference in the knee before anything else. I kind of figured that was normal after a knee replacement. It's the weakest part of my body so I always feel the effects of whatever is going on physically there first. Is that normal? I never bring it up to the doctors when I see them because I thought it was normal. I guess what I'm asking is should I mention the knee when I see the surgeon? It seems like it's two different things. Although, the knee is always effected when I'm sick.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not related to knee or ear problem

Detailed Answer:
I know you are stressed out because of all these symptoms bit practically the ringing in ear and the new feeling in knee are not related to the thrombosis problem and are just incidental in nature.
You can very well take percocet ad before for pain relief as this episode will pass in about a week by heat and painkillers only but still evaluation is a must so meet your surgeon as per schedule.
You can meet general surgeon as all you need is to look for the local pathology in breast like mass palpable or enlarged lymph nodes or just simple thrombosis due to hormone related hyper coagulability.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Sharp pain

doctor1 MD

Hello Sir/Mam, My self XXXXXXX XXXX and i m 29 yrs old.I m accountant by profession.from last 1 yr i m suffering from Sinus problem.I DAILY FEEL...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

My 17 year old daughter has sharp pain on her left side of her abdomen and has thrown up twice. She doesn't have a fever , I'm just curious what...

doctor1 MD

Two days ago I started getting occasional sharp pain inside my right ear and occasional shooting pains in my head, also on the right side. My head...

doctor1 MD

My period is now 16 days late, and it is very regular...I use a menstruation tracker. I have been feeling sick to my stomach, getting headaches,...