question-icon

What causes sharp pain in lower left chest during deep breaths?

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: I have a sharp pain in very lower left chest/rib cage when i deeply inhale. It is more painful in certain positions or movements than others. No real pain when I breathe normal, just when I take a deep breath. No pain when I exhale. No other symptoms. I am male, 37 years old, 6'1, 175 lbs. Other items of note..I have never smoked, do suffer from GERD, have experienced alot of gas/belching this week. The pain started last Sunday night and again is pretty much only when I inhale deeply. I'm wondering if it could be gas related, muscle strain, nerve or something more serious. No other real symptoms, cough, and have a good appetite.
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Nothing serious

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

From your description it seems you have muscle pain. Nothing serious.
I would advise you to take Ibuprofen 400 mg, 3 times a day, you will be doing fine in a couple of days. And if you have some Omeprazole or Pantoprazole, I would advise you to take for some days, as Ibuprofen can worsen your GERD.

Hope I could help you

Wishing you good health

In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan (21 minutes later)
As a follow up, it has been this pain since last Sunday evening. Could it take a week to 2 weeks with the same sharp pain when I deeply inhale or should I be more concerned at any length of time? It is very pinpointed pain right below heart area on left chest/rib. I can definitely point to exact location.
Just making sure I shouldn't be more concerned if any length of time passes or if I should be aware of other symptoms. Thank you very much for your time-
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Still it doesn't seem to be a serious condition. You can try Ibuprofen, if it doesn't help in 5 days, I would advise you to have an X-Rays done, to check whether you have any problem with your vertebra. As sometimes spine problems also can cause such symptoms.

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan (59 minutes later)
Lastly, it wouldn't be any type of lung clot where pain would last for week? Any particular symptoms there I should be aware of?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

If you have no dyspnea, breathlessness, cough, temperature, and other diseases, such as deep venous thrombosis, then lung problems are unlikely.

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist