What causes sharp pain in lower abdomen after intercourse?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: getting sharp pains in my lower abdomen after intercourse. sometimes i get them out of no where. i currently have an iud that was placed 2 yrs ago, i do not nor have ever had a menstrual cycle while on it. but seems sometimes my body minics pregnancy symptoms.
biggest thing of all is the sharp pains after intercourse and periodic super horrible cramling pain in same area.
should i be worried?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to PID.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The sharp cramping pain specially after intercourse can be due to a pelvic inflammatory disease. Since the pain episodes are frequent you should not ignore it. It is best to consult your gynecologist and get a few investigations done.
Proper antibiotic and anti inflammatory medicines will help in treatment.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
how does pelvic inflammatory disease ? i have never had gyn problems in the past until now. im not one prone to infections either.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to IUD.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
IUD itself makes you more prone to pelvic infections or an inflammation. Your symptoms can be due to an inflammation. It is best to consult a gynecologist and get yourself examined.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.