What causes sharp pain in left upper arm?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: In my left upper arm I have been experiencing sharp pains when I try to rollo over in bed or try to support my weight. It also can happen when I reach for something to fast. it feels heavy and tight across the left shoulder in back. This has gone on for about 10 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tendonitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Sharp pain is usually either due to tendon involvement or due to pinching of the nerve especially if it when you are trying to reach for things fast or trying to roll over.
Here is what you should do

1. Get an MRI of the left shoulder joint. This will give the details of the joint.
2. I would like to add here that cervical spondylosis can also behave this way where one as pain of the affected side. So CT of the spine can rule that out.

For now here is what you should do
1. Do not lift heavy weights until you are better
2. Try to give rest to your left arm, especially while driving do not use much of left upper arm
3. Cold compress the tender areas

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T