What causes sharp pain in inner thigh?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Three days ago I felt a sharp pain on the back of my upper RIGHT thigh. That happened as I sat on the toilet, perhaps a little heavier than usual. I am 60 inches tall and weigh 280 lbs. 70 yrs old.
The pain is mostly not there but occasionally comes back. Possibly due to various positions as I sit. Also not as often when I stand. It is not insufferable pain but I wanted to check and see if I should be doing anything. Like seeing a specialist. I believe a have some undiagnosed arthritis on both hips mostly the left one is more uncomfortable than the right one.
I take Losartan 100mg for high blood pressure, Nexium for reflux and vitamin D. Generally in good health.
Thoughts? Advice?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
doesn't sound so serious

Detailed Answer:

this incident does not sound so serious. It could be caused by spinal problems like a vertebral disc protrusion into the spinal canal, causing pressure on the nerves (and pain). If the pain is tolerable and getting better and does not prevent you from doing your everyday tasks, then you can wait for a few days to see what happens. If the pain is more serious or it's not improving or if it poses problems to daily tasks then investigation should be done.

Clinical examination to determine the origin of the pain would be very helpful! Muscular strains and nerve pain can be easily (most of the times) distinguished by the doctor. An X-ray might be helpful as well.

If the diagnosis is uncertain an MRI of the spine might help.

So my advice is to visit the specialist only if this pain has changed your daily routine. Otherwise giving it some time to heal might sound like a better idea.

Kind Regards!