What causes sharp pain in elbow?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What can cause a sharp pain to my elbow
In only happens At random times not all the time

But it is very sharp pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are few causes for such pain.

Detailed Answer:

Few common causes for such pain are a nerve getting pinched during particular moment, tendinosis of group of tendons or pain can be related to degenerative changes in the elbow joint.

Ideal step to know the cause would be to get a clinical evaluation done.In pinched nerve the pain would be radiating to distal forearm as well.

With tendinitis, pain would be at typical point , which doctor will ask you.

Doctor might want to get a x ray of elbow done.And if needed doctor might suggest MRI.

This will help to know the cause of pain.

Once cause of pain is known, treatment can be planned.Meanwhile ice application,rest and compression if required can be tried.

Hope this helps.Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju