question-icon

What causes sharp pain in chest radiating to back?

Posted on Sat, 23 May 2015
Question: I was sitting here at the computer and experienced a really sharp pain in my chest and it shot right straight to my back, should I be concerned. I have been diagnosed with arterial coronary spasm many years ago.
Answered by Dr. Praveen (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Visit ER as early as possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for your query.

I would like to know since when have you been having this pain?
Is it there when you are at rest?
When does that aggregate?
Do you have breathlessness?
I would recommend to get an ECG and evaluation of Cardiovascular status if the pain is aggrevating or not subsiding for quite a while since severe spasm might in heart attack.

Dr.Praveen
Follow up: Dr. Praveen (10 minutes later)
This is the first time I had something this sharp and quick, It took my breath away and doubled me over while I was sitting here and then went away.
Answered by Dr. Praveen (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Recommend a Cardiovascular workup

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your revert.

I would still want to evaluate and do a complete cardiovascular work-up considering your age and your description of symptoms.

Suggest to consult your physician as early as possible.
Dr. Praveen