• question-icon

What causes sharp pain in back when I get up?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: For more than a week I nave been experiencing severe short sharp jabs of pain in my back on left hand side just above hip bone. Doctor gave me diazapam as it felt like severe cramp but this has not helped. I cannot walk without a stick and feel my leg will collapse under me. I have a massage machine which may help but it is heavy to hold and awkward. I am 74, overweight and diabetic. I really am suffering with the pain. If I am lying down I have no pain but as soon as I get up out of bed it hurts in spasms. Very very sharp pain which goes as quickly as it comes. I have not been lifting or exercising or got cold in my back. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stronger muscle relaxants needed.

Detailed Answer:
The intermittent spasms on getting up that you have are likely to be due to muscle spasms. If diazepam is not helping then you need a stronger muscle relaxant like chlorzoxazone or Tizanidine. Doing a hot compress and applying a local muscle relaxant gel will also help.
It is best to increase your fluid intake also so that in case the spasms are due to electrolyte imbalance or dehydration then it can be corrected.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon