What causes sharp pain behind left eye, blurred vision and swelling in face?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm experiencing sharp pain behind my left eye along woth blurred vision, swelling, and slight numbness on that side of my face.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging from your description I would say that the most probable cause for the pain would be cluster headache. It is a sharp, stabbing pain behind the eye, accompanied by phenomena such as lacrimation, swelling and drooping of the eyelid, nasal congestion etc. Pain is of a sudden onset and an episode lasts for 5-180 minutes, but usually in clusters of several episodes (up to 8) a day. So if the pain has the above characteristics cluster headache is the most probable cause. The 30s are the most common age of appearance as well. It is not a threatening issue but the pain is really excruciating. Treatment of episodes is by oxygen and a class of headache medications called triptans. Preventive treatment is also necessary usually with a calcium channel blocking drug called verapamil.

Other possible cause would be sinusitis, where the pain would be more persistent rather than in the form of these abrupt episodes. Neurological causes such as cavernous sinus lesions or Tolosa-Hunt syndrome can also cause pain behind the eye, but again is usually constant and are eyeball movement abnormalities usually leading to double vision.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.