What causes sharp pain behind eyes while coughing or bending down?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: I had the virus that went around about a month ago and during it, when I coughed my head behind my eye felt like a knife went through it and now that I'm not sick anymore the pain is still there constantly. It's especially painful if I bend over or cough even a little. Very sharp pain behind my eye.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms indicate sinus related pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care Magic

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I will be answering your question.

I reviewed your history.

The symptoms of sharp pain behind the eye when you cough or bend over following a viral infection most commonly indicates sinusitis.
Since sinuses are situated surrounding the eye ball the inflammation of these will cause the symptoms of sharp pain behind the eye. The increase in pain on bending or coughing further confirms the diagnosis.

The treatment of the condition is by the use of deongestant drugs like Pseudoephidrine available as Sudafed. Along with this the use of analgesic drugs like Aceclofenac is recommended.

Do consult your family doctor for prescription of these drugs. You need to worry if there is redness of eyes or diminution of vision, otherwise these drugs will treat your condition.

Hope this answers your question and the information is helpful to you.
Do write back to me for further questions.

Thank you
With regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 17 minutes later
Hi thank you for your reply. Just to be sure.... I have no other symptoms of sinus besides the pain in the back of my eye. When I mentioned the pain greatest if I bend over or cough it's a cough due to getting something in my throat not from drainage or anything.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild inflammation or blockage of the sinuses will cause these symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

With the treatment by the use of decongestant drugs and analgesic drugs, I think you will be fine. Mild inflammation or blockage of the sinuses will cause these symptoms.
If you have any other eye symptoms like redness, blurring of vision, floaters...., Please let me know, otherwise no need to be worried.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 14 minutes later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to me on Health care Magic.

With regards
Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist