What causes sharp pain at the rib cage while coughing and how should it be treated?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Just got over flu cough one or two times an hour have sharp pain on stomach right where rib cage starts
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

It sounds like a muscular pain- more explanation on treatment and follow up.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The pain you are describing, being worse when you cough is typical of a muscular pain.

When we cough this might cause stress on the chest muscles and sometimes also strain some muscle fibers and cause pain. It is not dangerous generally but can be very discomfort.

To help with it I would recommend the following:
1. Continue the Nyquil for flu as it helps with a cough to relieve it.
2. I would also recommend that you do a nasal saline solution to help with the cough in case post nasal drip is contributing to it.
3. Make sure you drink well.
4. Taking Ibuprofen for pain after food every 6 hours will help with the pain at the rib cage feel better.

If you develop shortness of breath or any fever or fatigue or cough gets worse than you will need to see a doctor making sure the pain you are having is just muscular or also there is a lung infection.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question.

Dr. Zotaj Antoneta, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T