What causes sharp pain at the rib cage while coughing and how should it be treated?
It sounds like a muscular pain- more explanation on treatment and follow up.
I carefully read your question and understand your concern.
The pain you are describing, being worse when you cough is typical of a muscular pain.
When we cough this might cause stress on the chest muscles and sometimes also strain some muscle fibers and cause pain. It is not dangerous generally but can be very discomfort.
To help with it I would recommend the following:
1. Continue the Nyquil for flu as it helps with a cough to relieve it.
2. I would also recommend that you do a nasal saline solution to help with the cough in case post nasal drip is contributing to it.
3. Make sure you drink well.
4. Taking Ibuprofen for pain after food every 6 hours will help with the pain at the rib cage feel better.
If you develop shortness of breath or any fever or fatigue or cough gets worse than you will need to see a doctor making sure the pain you are having is just muscular or also there is a lung infection.
I hope this is helpful and answers to your question.
Dr. Zotaj Antoneta, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes short sharp pain while urinating
- What causes sharp pains in uterus
- What cause of sharp pains in the head
- What causes sharp pain in nipples
- What causes sharp pain in spleen
- What causes sharp pain and swelling under my rib cage
- Sharp pain in rib cage
- What causes sharp pain in wrist
- Sharp pain under the breast in the rib cage cause
- What could cause sharp pain in abdomen while coughing
- What causes an episode of chills, dizziness and focusing issues?
- What causes mildly raised INR level despite taking Warfarin?
- What does the following colposcopy report indicate?
- What do the following ultrasound reports indicate?
- What causes a red rash on the arm?
- What causes diarrhea, severe cramps and bloating?
- Suggest treatment for small bumps between the legs and near the buttocks
- What causes redness in the eyes?
- Suggest treatment for severe joint pain in the knees, elbows and ankles
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches and mouth ulcers while having...