• question-icon

What causes sharp pain around the anus?

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Am embarrassed but often have sharp pain around my anus. I have a photo that my wife took of what it looks like and hoping for a doctor to take a look. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please attach the photograpph.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I've gone through your details.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be addressing your concerns.
As per description given by you it can be hemorrhoid or piles.The veins around your anus tend to stretch under pressure and may bulge or swell. Swollen veins (hemorrhoids) can develop from increased pressure in the lower rectum due to Straining during bowel movements. Sitting for long periods of time on the toilet.Sometimes hemorrhoids prolapse or get bigger and bulge outside the anal sphincter. Then you may be able to see them as bumps that are pinker than the surrounding area. Today, the theory of sliding anal canal lining is widely accepted.This proposes that hemorrhoids develop when the supporting tissues of the anal cushions disintegrate or deteriorate. Hemorrhoids are therefore the pathological term to describe the abnormal downward displacement of the anal cushions causing venous dilatation.

According to standard texts Hemorrhoids are classified as-
Grade 1:hemorrhoid bulges into the canal but does not prolapse or fall completely into it. These may bleed.
Grade 2: hemorrhoid protrudes past the anal verge with straining for a bowel movement or passage of flatus, but spontaneously return to their original internal position once the straining has subsided.
Grade 3: the hemorrhoid may protrude past the anal verge without any straining and requires the patient to push them inside manually.
Grade 4: the internal hemorrhoid always stays protruded or prolapsed and is at risk for thrombosis or strangulation should the anal muscles go into spasm.

As per the protocol stage 1 to 3 are managed conservatively while surgery is done on stage 4 hemorrhoid.

Any further suggestion can be given only after going through the picture.
Kindly attach the picture.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist