What causes sharp pain and vibration in lower left abdomen along with diarrhea?
For history, I have bipolar disorder, for which I started taking Lithium three weeks ago, but only for five days because of the side effects (prinicpally anxiety). I have been having chest pains and breathing difficulties which my GP and Psychiatrist have both attributed to the anxiety. I had blood tests and a chest X-ray six days ago - the chest X-ray was fine but the blood test flagged up gout, for which I have been given Allopurinol, but have not yet started taking them. I'm not currently taking any medication.
Could be enteritis; probably bacterial
Hello XXXXXXX I understand your concern here
At this point, this has gone on long enough that it isn't a viral enteritis and is probably a bacterial one as in E coli, C diff, salmonella, etc.
It might otherwise be irritable bowel syndrome, but you need to have your doctor send a stool sample to the lab for cultures and sensitivities and if it is bacterial you'll need a course of antibiotics like Cipro or Flagyl to take care of it.
Sometimes lithium can cause diarrhea.
Let me know if you need more information please
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes sharp pain in left shoulder and chest
- What cause sharp pain underneath the left arm
- What causes sharp pain around left breast
- What could cause sharp pain around abdomen
- What causes sharp pain in middle of left shoulder
- What causes sharp pain under the left breast
- What causes sharp pain in lower gut and hips
- What could cause sharp pain at the lower abdomen
- What causes sharp pain in left side of skull
- What causes sharp pain in lower left side of stomach