What causes sharp pain and swelling in the area a bone injury?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Yesterday I moved suddenly from the waist down when suddenly I felt a very sharp pain, Now I am dragging my left leg and theere is severe pain in my left hip.....I have never had a pain like this and I am worried at my age, (74), I can put weight on it so it's not broken .....is it? There is a slight swelling on the top of my left hip bone...
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bone injury is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Since there is a sharp pain and swelling in the area a bone injury is possible at your age due to osteoporotic bones.
If you can walk without a limp then a bone injury is less likely. Avoid weight bearing on the leg and do consult an orthopedician for a physical examination and necessary X-rays for evaluation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T