Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

What causes sharp pain and sorness in knees?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I have sore knees. It first started in my left knee with sharp pain on the outside of my knee cap & then got worse with my knee being sore at the back. I have not injured my knee. This started about 6 weeks ago. Last week my right knee started the same way with sharp pain in through my knee cap. It hurts to straighten my knees & when I go up or down stairs.It also hurts when I am sitting & then stand up. Medications I have tried are naproxen, celebrex & indomethacin but the pain does not seem to subside.What do you think.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: The cause should be investigated further Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am pleased to be able to assist you with your query. It is quite obvious that you are suffering from a form of arthritis and given that you have been taking medications to ease the pain with no success, I will suggest get checked by a doctor who can try to identify the specific type of arthritis. There are several types grouped under two main forms: septic/infectious and non-septic/non-infectious. Treatment of septic arthritis often necessitate the use of antibiotics associated to antiinflammatory. I often treat septic arthritis with injection of penicillin associated to steroidal antiinflammatory. This often relieves patients within a couple of weeks (2-3). In the other hand, if the cause is non-infectious, then specific types will need to investigated as subsequent treatment will depend on that. For example, if you are suffering from gouty arthritis (which is often found with elevated uric acid levels); the specific treatment will require antigout medications. I suggest you see a doctor who can take a closer look at you and then provide specific treatment (A rheumatologist will be best suited for your condition). Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor