What causes sharp pain above the knee and hip?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Since yesterday, I have a sharp pain in my right front leg at the knee and above and the right buttock.

Nothing seems to help it (e.g. Ibuprofen, changing position (standing, sitting, laying, kneeling), heating pad).

The worse pain (nauseous-making) in the knee (feels like a knife inserted) and in the buttock. The front leg pain (above the knee) is more of a pulsating pain.

Prior to the pain, I was just doing normal household things, sat down for a few minutes rest, when I went to get back up from a seated position, it was very painful and hasn't left.

Worse, if anything.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:
The pain above the knee and in the hip that you are having s likely to be due to a muscle spasm. You can do a hot compress in the area and do a passive stretching to help relieve the pain. You can also get an oral muscle relaxant prescribed from your physician after an examination.
Application of local analgesic gel will also help. In case all these abovesaid measures do not help then do consult an orthopedician for a direct examination and proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal