What causes sharp one sided pain in the head while on Nitrofurantoin?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
I am taking nitrifurantoin for a bacterial infection....am I to avoid completely caffeine during these 7 days? I am having serious ice pick headaches since starting...not sure if it is a drug reaction or caffeine deprivation? I do not normally ever have headaches.....haven’t slept for 2 days due to this constant ice pick sharp pain in one side of my head....help?
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This could be more probably from caffeine deprivation.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Based on your history, you should know that even nitrofurantoun could cause headache as less common side efects .
But I think that this situation is more probably from caffeine deprivation.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.