Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

What causes sharp head pain when suffering from TMJ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1264 Questions
Hello, I have TMJ and occaisionally I get a sharp pain localized to one spot on my head. Feels like I would think an ice pick headache does. Usually only lasts a short time. This has been going since last night though and I am now concerned it is something more serious. It is on my right temple area. Has not moved or changed since last night. Any advice?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: TMJ Detailed Answer: HI XXXXXXX I am sorry you're experiencing this discomfort. TMJ, and the pain associated with it, is not uncommon. Often the temple is involved as it appears to be in your case. The first step toward addressing the discomfort is to be careful to eat only foods that are soft in texture, for the next 24-48 hours. Most often that relieves the stress on the areas involved and allows them to heal. If you don't notice improvement in the next 24-48 hours, I recommend consulting with your doctor. Hope this will help. Wishing you speedy recovery. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor