What causes sharp abdominal pain?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My Wife, 59 years old is suffering from sharp pain located approx top of stomach. She has vomited until her stomach appears to be empty. She feels hot and about to pass out at times. She has not felt well all day and it seems to have come to a head in the last hour. She is resting on a bed but her stomach ache persists.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Epigastric pain with extreme nausea and vomiting for whole day appears to be gastritis , stomach flu or gallbladder or pancreas inflammation. She should take XXXXXXX seltzer and antacids . If oral are not tolerable then IV proton pump inhibitors with some antispasmodics will help with the pain . Get her to nearest ER , they will give her some IV fluids for hydration and PPIs for the pain. After she stabilizes, they will run some tests to rule out underlying etiologies. I would like to have an EKG as well some to rule out inferior wall of heart involvement.

I hope it helps. Take good care of her and of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 15 hours later

I took her to the ER before receiving your response due to acute pain. she was likewise diagnosed with gastroenteritis. All her vital signs and EKG are OK. She is home and I am treating her with TLC.

Thanks,

Col. J.L. Cannon
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
No worries

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me
As speculated, Gastroenteritis fits the description. Supportive care and hydration is all she needs . She should feel better soon. Stay hopeful.
Regards XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad