What causes sharp abdominal pain around and below belly button?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: For the past two days I have had sharp abdominal pains around and below my belly button. The pain comes and goes. I have had 3 bowel movements in the past 2 days. I have no appetite and it hurts when I push on my stomach under my belly button.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further tests are needed...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Sharp abdominal pain around and below your belly button associated with being nauseous and no appetite are indicating a possible bowel infection:
- viral
- appendicitis (early stage)

I advise to have a few more tests done :
- abdominal ultrasound
- complete blood work
- urine analysis

in order to determine the right diagnosis and specific treatment.

Meanwhile, I advise to:
- take more fluids (water, soups, tea, juice)
- take buscopan or papaverin to ease the pain (you need to see a doctor to take a prescription for that). If you cannot see a doctor, can take mephenamic acid
- take otc o.r.s.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana
Let me know if you have anything unclear!