What causes sharp abdominal pain and swelling?
You need colonoscopy and treatment guided based on its results
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.
I carefully read your question.
I am sorry for the health situation you are having and being in the process of trying to arrange proper medical coverage.
Inflammatory bowel disease is almost always needed to be diagnosed with colonoscopy, it is not just a clinical diagnosis. We suspect it clinically and set the final diagnosis with colonoscopy. This will determine if it is ulcerative cholitis or Crohn diasease as even though they are classified together they have different characteristics clinically and might differ a little in treatment.
So the first step is to have the colonoscopy done- it is crucial. There are medications that can be given to help it be less uncomfortable. That is not done in the acute phase so your doctor might need to give you some treatment first and than when you area better have it done to set the diagnosis.
After you have the final diagnosis than treatment oriented to that diagnosis might be determined. Generally steroids are given and 5-aminosalicilic acids (mesalamine, olsalazine) are the mainstay of treatement. Antibiotics might be needed sometimes, especially if you develop fever.
You should also see the need to have blood tests done to check for anemia as bleeding causes iron loss and also the bowel not absorbing well might cause lack of B12 and folic acid. So have a CBC test and if you are found anemic you need proper tretmtment for that also.
I hope this is helpful and answers to your questions but please feel free to let me know if anymore clarification is needed on this.
Antoneta Zotaj, MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sharp abdominal pain when defecating
- Sharp abdominal pain and bleeding
- Infrequent sharp abdominal pain
- Sharp abdominal pain ivf
- Sharp abdominal pain left side
- What caused sharp abdominal pain dizziness and collapsed completely
- What causes brown bleeding and sharp abdominal pain
- Sharp abdominal pain below the chest
- Short sharp abdominal pain
- Sharp abdominal pain after intercourse
- What causes an episode of chills, dizziness and focusing issues?
- What causes mildly raised INR level despite taking Warfarin?
- What does the following colposcopy report indicate?
- What do the following ultrasound reports indicate?
- What causes a red rash on the arm?
- What causes diarrhea, severe cramps and bloating?
- Suggest treatment for small bumps between the legs and near the buttocks
- What causes redness in the eyes?
- Suggest treatment for severe joint pain in the knees, elbows and ankles
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches and mouth ulcers while having...