What causes sharp abdominal pain and bloating?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Men's Health
Question: I am having sharp pains in the prostate area and stomach upset (bloating, gas, queezy stomach). I am not sure if the latter is affecting the prostate or the prostate is affecting the stomach. Both seem inflamed. I have abacterial prostatis. Usually, an anti-inflammatory helps. But it does not seem to be working. I am taking Tums/Pepto-bismol. The stomach has settled a bit, but the sharp pains in the prostate area are not improved. Do you have any suggestions? I have not had a normal bowel movement in 24 hrs. I also had chills and possibly a fever last night. Could this be a virus? Bacterial infection?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Severe prostatitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Chills with pain is suggestive of severe prostatitis.Prostatitis means infection of prostate gland by bacteria or virus.A mid stream urine sample should be sent for routine and microscopy to find out which bacteria is involved. Most likely cause is infection by bacteria Escherichia coli.Antibiotic therapy should be started with anti inflammatory like aceclofenac and serratiopeptidases as per the reports of routine and cuture of tests.
Few investigations to be done are
Total leucocyte counts
Differential leucocyte counts
Mid stream urine sample for routine and microscopy
Ultra sound KUB(kisney and urinary bladder).
For stools i would suggest you take 10ml of lactulose stat,Once stool is passed cramps will be relieved for gas and burping Nexium 40 mg can be taken twice daily.

Follow up with reports.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad